Connect me to:
Fortune Cookies II
Fruits, Desserts, and Other Sweet Foods
|Fortune Cookies II|
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 Tablespoons cornstarch
4 egg whites
1/2 cup plus two tablespoons vegetable oil
2 Tablespoons vanilla
2 dozen paper fortunes half-inch by two-and-a-half-inches
1. Preheat oven to 330 to 340 degrees F.
2. Sift flour and sugar, and resift with the cornstarch.
3. Beat egg whites until foamy, then add the half cup oil slowly and continue beating until stiff. Then add vanilla and beat into this batter another minute.
4. Use a teaspoon of the extra oil and brush the oil onto a cookie sheet.
5. Drop one tablespoon of batter onto the cookie sheet, and flatten out the dough with the bottom of a glass brushed with a little vegetable oil until the cookie dough is four to four and a half inches in diameter. Repeat this two to four more times. (Bake one cookie at a time until you get the hang of the entire process.)
6. Bake for ten minutes until golden, remove cookie sheet from the oven, put paper fortune on it, and with a spatula, fold cookie in half but do not press the dough down, then fold in half the other way, also not pressing any part of the dough to any other part. Place this folded warm cookie in a muffin or popover pan until cool; and repeat the process until all the dough is baked.