Connect me to:
Fruit-flavored Mock Fish
Vegetables and Vegetarian Foods
|Fruit-flavored Mock Fish|
2 sheets (10 by 15 inches) of fresh bean curd
1 cooked sweet potato, skin discarded, then mashed
2 large Chinese black mushrooms, soaked, stems discarded, and minced
1/4 cup canned water chestnuts, minced
1 small red chili, seeds discarded, and minced
2 cups vegetable oil
1 Tablespoon thin soy sauce
2 slices fresh ginger, minced
1 scallion, minced
1 teaspoon cornstarch mixed with same amount of cold water
10 litchi or longan fruits
1. Soak bean curd sheets in tepid water for five minutes.
2. Mix sweet potato, mushrooms, water chestnuts and chili pieces, and put on the drained bean curd sheets, shaping it like a fish, head to tail. Wrap bean curd sheets seam side down, and discard any excess.
3. Heat oil in a fry pan, and carefully slide mock fish into the oil and fry until crisp on one side, then carefully turn it over with two spatulas and fry the other side until crisp. Remove to two paper towels, and drain.
4. Put fried fish on a platter and slice it into pieces.
5. Put fruit in a small pot, add soy sauce, ginger, scallion, and the cornstarch water. Bring to the boil and as soon as the sauce clears, about half a minute, pour this over the mock fish, and serve.