Connect me to:
Spareribs with Bitter Melon
|Spareribs with Bitter Melon|
1 pound spare ribs, cut into one-inch pieces
1 teaspoon cornstarch
2 kerala or bitter melons, cut in half the long way, seeds and pith removed
1 teaspoon coarse salt
2 scallions, cut in half-inch pieces, on an angle
2 Tablespoons fresh minced ginger
3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
1/2 cup fermented black beans, rinsed and coarsely chopped
3 Tablespoons vegetable oil
1 teaspoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon sugar
1 Tablespoon oyster flavored sauce
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 Tablespoon cornstarch mixed with an equal amount of cold water
1. Mix spareribs with the teaspoon of cornstarch, and set aside for twenty minutes until cornstarch is wet and no longer white.
2. Angle-cut the prepared kerala or bitter melon into half-inch wide slices, and mix with he scallion pieces.
3. Mix ginger, garlic, and mashed black beans.
4. Heat wok or fry pan and add the oil, then the black bean mixture and stir-fry for one minute before adding the spare ribs and the kerala or bitter melon pieces. Stir-fry for five minutes until the spareribs are browned. Then add half cup of boiling water, the soy sauce, sugar, oyster flavored sauce, and the ground black pepper. Reduce the heat and simmer for half an hour.
5. Stir in the cornstarch water, raise heat and boil and stir until the sauce clears and it thickened, then serve.