Connect me to:
Five Flavors Chicken
|Five Flavors Chicken|
3 and 3/4 to 4 pounds chicken pieces
1 (1 and 1/4-inch) piece fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup honey
3 Tablespoons dry sherry, mirin (sweet sake wine), or gin
2 Tablespoons cornstarch
1 cup rice, steamed rice
1. Trim tips off wings and discard them or reserve for making a soup. Then pull the skin off the other pieces of chicken.
2. Mix ginger, garlic, soy sauce, honey, and the dry sherry. Dip each piece of chicken into this sauce.
3. Put the chicken in a crockpot and pour the remaining sauce over it; then cook it at a low temperature. The wings will be ready in about five hours, the other pieces of chicken in about six hours. Should you use high heat, the wings will take about two-and-a-half hours, the rest of the chicken about three hours. When done, remove the chicken to a pre-warmed serving dish.
4. Pour any juices into a skillet. Blend the cornstarch with a tablespoon of cool water, then whisk iit into the juices in the skillet and cook stirring until thickened.
5. Adjust seasonings, if desired, with sea salt and black pepper, and pour a little sauce over some rice and chicken for each person. Pour the remaining sauce in pitcher, and serve.