Connect me to:
Watercress Salad with Chicken and Asian Pear
Salads, Pickles, and Other Cold Foods
|Watercress Salad with Chicken and Asian Pear|
2 Tablespoons sliced almonds
1 bunch watercress, washed and dried
1 cup diced roasted chicken, cut into 3/4-inch pieces (white meat preferred)
1 Asian pear (preferably a sweet variety such as Hosui)
2 teaspoons roasted hazelnut oil
Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
1. In a dry skillet, toast the almond slices, then set them aside.
2. Tear or cut the watercress in half crosswise, discarding the tough lower portion of the stems. Place the greens in a serving bowl.
3. Arrange the chicken over the cress.
4. Peel the Asian pear. Halve and core it. Place the fruit cut-side down on a cutting board. Cut the fruit into 1/2-inch slices. Cut the slices crosswise into 1/2-inch pieces. Add one cup of the cut fruit to the salad, reserving the rest for another use.
5. Drizzle the oil over the salad. Sprinkle with the toasted almonds. Toss well and season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.
Note: Dana Jacobi, author of The Natural Kitchen: SOY! (Prima, 1996) makes this elegant salad, which combines crunchy Asian pear with tangy cress and chicken.