Connect me to:
Salads, Pickles, and Other Cold Foods
10 ounces agar-agar strands
1 bundle flowering garlic chives, rinsed, their tough ends cut off and discarded
salt and pepper to taste
1 Tablespoon peanut oil
1/2 pound fresh bean sprouts, their tails removed
1 clove garlic
1 teaspoon sugar
2 Tablespoons sesame oil
2 teaspoons honey
1. Soak the agar-agar strands in cold water for half an hour.
2. Chop two inches off the ends of the chives and mince, then set them aside. Cut the rest of the chives into bite-sized lengths and drop into boiling water for half a minute, drain, and immerse these pieces in ice water. Drain them as soon as they are chilled.
3. Beat the eggs and season them with salt and pepper, then stir in chopped chives.
4. Heat a wok or a heavy fry pan, brush with a little oil, and cook one-quarter of the egg mixture. When barely set, empty the egg onto a plate. Rub the pan lightly with oil before making another. Put each egg sheet on its own plate, and continue until all egg is used.
5. Roll the egg sheets and then cut them into thin strips.
6. Drain the agar-agar and cut it into bite-sized strips.
7. Mix with the eggs and bean sprouts, cover and refrigerate.
8. Whisk together the garlic, sugar, sesame oil, and the honey and pour over the vegetables. Toss and serve.