Connect me to:
Fun Si with Cucumbers
Rice, Noodles, and Other Grain Foods
|Fun Si with Cucumbers|
2 ounces of fun si, also known as cellophane noodles
2 Chinese cucumbers (or Kirby cucumbers)
1 teaspoon cornstarch mixed with one tablespoon water
1 Tablespoon soy sauce
1 teaspoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
1 and 1/2 teaspoons sesame oil
some prepared mustard to taste
1. Soak noodles in hot water until soft, about half hour, then drain and cut into shorter lengths. Put them on a serving dish.
2. Remove the seeds from cucumbers, shred and put them on top of the noodles, leaving a half-inch border.
3. Shred the chicken breast and mix well with cornstarch and water, then set aside.
4. Mince the scallions and toss them with the rest of the ingredients, setting aside half teaspoon of sesame oil.
5. Heat one tablespoon oil in wok or non-stick fry pan. Add chicken mixture, saute for one minute, add scallion mixture and stir-fry half minute more then remove. Center this mixture on the cucumbers leaving a half-inch border.
6. At the table just before serving, add the half teaspoon sesame oil and toss the entire dish, then serve.
Note: This dish can be prepared ahead, and served at room temperature. Be sure to refrigerate the chicken mixture and put it on the cucumber/noodle platter just before serving.