Connect me to:
Green Onion Flatbreads
Batters and Breads
|Green Onion Flatbreads|
2 cups all-purpose flour, plus extra for flouring bowl and board as needed
3 Tablespoons vegetable shortening or lard
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
6 Tablespoons chopped scallions, finely chopped
4 teaspoon vegetable oil
1. Put flour on a work surface, make well in the center and gradually add three-quarters cup lukewarm water working from the center outward until all is well mixed. Then knead the dough on a lightly floured surface turning and folding until it is a medium soft dough (this takes about ten minutes).
2. Cover the dough loosely with plastic wrap and let it rest for half an hour.
3. Put half the dough on a lightly floured surface and roll it out until there is a twelve-inch by sixteen-inch sheet about one-eighth-inch thick.
4. Spread half the lard, sprinkle one quarter teaspoon salt all over it as well as three tablespoons of the scallions. Roll up jelly-roll style along the long edge and twist the dough making a spiral. Cut into four pieces, stand one upright and push this down making a round circle, the cross-section of the spiral facing up. Repeat with the other three pieces and then do the same with the other half of the dough and ingredients.
5. Heat one teaspoon oil in a non-stick skillet over medium heat and brown lightly (about one minute) then turn over and repeat back and forth, about five to six minutes total. Stack them and repeat until all are made.
6. Serve them; and people can tear them into pieces before eating them.