Connect me to:
Dim Sum and Other Snack Foods
1/2 pound mung beans, steamed for twenty minutes, then cooled
1/4 pound peanuts, paper shells removed
1/2 cup scallions, green part only, minced
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground white pepper
1/2 pound glutinous rice flour
lotus or banana leaves
1. Crush steamed mung beans.
2, Stir-fry peanuts in a dry wok or fry pan for one minute, set aside and allow to cool.
3. Mix crushed mung beans, peanuts, and scallions, add sugar, salt, and pepper, divide into ten equal parts, and set this aside.
4. Put glutinous rice flour in a bowl, add five tablespoons boiling water and mix, then knead until smooth. If a very moist day, one might need to add another tablespoon of rice flour; a dry one up to another tablespoon of water. Then divide this dough into ten portions, and roll each into a ball.
5. Flatten each ball of dough and put one part of the mung bean mixture in the center, and wrap the dough to close it in being sure it is sealed completely. Then flatten it slightly.
6. Take whichever leaves used and cut into pieces one inch larger than the flattened ball. Set these into a steamer basket, put the slightly flattened ball on it, and steam over rapidly boiling water for 24 minutes, then remove and serve.