Connect me to:
Scallions and Sea Cucumber
|Scallions and Sea Cucumber|
1 pound small soaked or frozen sea cucumber
4 Tablespoons vegetable oil, divided in two parts
2 cups two-inch pieces of scallions
4 slices fresh ginger
4 cloves garlic
4 cups chicken broth
1 teaspoon salt
1 Tablespoon Chinese rice wine
1 Tablespoons thin soy sauce
1/2 Tablespoon sugar
1 Tablespoon cornstarch mixed with one tablespoon cold water
1. Soak the sea cucumber overnight, drain and soak another six to ten hours, then drain and set aside.
2. Blanch sea cucumber in boiling water for one minute, then rinse in cold water.
3. Heat half the oil and stir-fry the scallions, ginger, and garlic over low heat for three minutes until soft but not browned. Discard the garlic and ginger, but keep the oil.
4. Heat the chicken broth, and add salt and wine, add the sea cucumber and simmer covered until tender.
5. Deep fry the scallions in the reserved oil until brown, then put them and one cup of broth in a bowl, add wine and soy sauce and steam for three minutes.
6. Heat the unused oil then fry the sugar until it caramelizes, and when it does, add all the steamed ingredients and the rest of the chicken broth. Bring almost to the boil, stir in the cornstarch mixture and stir until thickened and clear, then serve.