Connect me to:
Wife Cakes are Lao Po Bing
Holiday and Celebration Foods
|Wife Cakes are Lao Po Bing|
9 Tablespoons granulated sugar
3 cups glutinous rice flour or another low protein flour, divided in three equal parts
25 Tablespoons peanut oil or butter, divided into three parts, of ten, ten, and five tablespoons
1 cup high protein flour
1 egg yolk, beaten
1. Mix sugar with one cup water and one set of ten tablespoons of peanut (or vegetable) oil. Bring to the boil, and add one cup of glutinous rice flour, stirring to make a ball of dough. Refrigerate for half an hour, remove and knead for ten minutes, then refrigerate this filling material another half an hour.
2. Mix a second cup of glutinous rice flour, a cup of high protein flour and ten tablespoons peanut oil and form a ball of dough and wrap in plastic wrap and set aside for half an hour. This will be used to form the outer layer of dough.
3. Make an inner ball of dough mixing another cup of rice flour with five tablespoons of oil and knead only until it forms a ball of dough that is not sticky.
4. Divide each mixture or ball of dough into eight parts and roll out both the outer and inner dough separately. Put one outer dough on a board, cover it with a rolled piece of inner dough, and roll them together, then in its center, put a section of the filling, and pinch the edges together and press into a round cake.
5. Brush the top of each cake with egg yolk, cut two slits partway into the top layers, and them put on a cookie sheet with sides (in case some filling leaks out). Put the cookie sheet into a 375 degree oven and bake them for twenty minutes. Remove and the wife cakes, and serve them warm or at room temperature.