Connect me to:
Beggar's Chicken III
|Beggar's Chicken III|
1 Tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon coarse salt
1/4 cup dry sherry
1 three to four pound whole chicken, cleaned inside and out
2 Tablespoons thin soy sauce
1 Tablespoon dark soy sauce
1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
1/4 pound belly pork, diced into small pieces
1/4 cup preserved Shanghai cabbage, shredded
1/4 cup slivered fresh ginger
2 lotus leaves, soaked for about an hour
1 or 2 large pieces of caul fat, about one pound
2 to 4 pounds clay that hardens and is food-safe
1. Mix sugar, salt, and sherry and rub inside and outside of the chicken, then set it aside for half an hour.
2. Mix both soy sauces and set them aside.
3. Heat oil and fry the belly pork until almost crisp, add preserved vegetable, slivered ginger, and the soy sauces. Toss one minute more then drain and stuff into the chicken.
4. Wrap the chicken in the lotis leaves and then the caul fat. Cover with half to one-inch of the clay and bake in a 450 degree Farenheit oven for two hours.
5. Crack and serve as indicated in the Beggar's Chicken I recipe above.