Connect me to:
Eggplant in Spicy Sauce
Vegetables and Vegetarian Foods
|Eggplant in Spicy Sauce|
2 cups oil for frying
1 pound eggplant, cut into sticks the shape of french fries
1 Tablespoon soy sauce
1 Tablespoon light brown sugar
1 Tablespoon spicy bean sauce
1 Tablespoon rice vinegar
1 Tablespoon rice wine
1 teaspoon Asian sesame oil
3 cloves fresh garlic, peeled and minced
1 Tablespoon chopped fresh ginger
4 whole chilies, soaked in water for ten minutes, dried with paper towels, then chopped
1 cup thinly sliced pork tenderloin
3 scallions, thinly sliced
1. Heat wok over medium-high heat, until the oil reaches 360 degrees F. Then and add half the eggplant pieces. Fry and stir for five minutes until the eggplant is limp, then remove it with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Repeat with the rest of the eggplant. Discard all but two tablespoons of the oil.
2. In a small bowl, combine soy sauce, brown sugar, bean sauce, rice vinegar, rice wine, sesame oil, and the cornstarch, and set this aside.
3. Heat wok and the two tablespoons of oil, then add the garlic, ginger, and the chilies and stir-fry for one minute.
4. Add the pork and stir-fry for two minutes, then return all the eggplant to the wok. Stir the sauce and add it next, and boil until the sauce thickens, about two minutes, then remove to a bowl or a platter with low sides.
5. Garnish with the scallions, and serve.