Connect me to:
Silver Moon Cakes
Holiday and Celebration Foods
|Silver Moon Cakes|
2 cups canned lotus seed paste or bean paste
2 cups all purpose flour
4 Tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
1/2 cup water
2 teaspoons sugar
dash of salt
1 cup all purpose flour
6 Tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
1. Divide paste into twenty portions, and shape each of them into a ball.
2. Make water dough by mixing all its ingredients. Knead until smooth and elastic. Shape into long roll and divide into twenty portions. Roll each into a round ball.
3. Make oil dough by mixing flour and butter until smooth and elastic. Shape it into a long roll and cut into 20 pieces; shape them into round balls.
4. Flatten a water dough ball into a three inch pancake then place oil dough ball on it. Gather water dough skin to completely enclose the oil dough making a round ball. With rolling pin, flatten the ball to about a 2 by 4 inch strip, turn it and roll up the narrow way. Repeat this flattening and rolling a few times. The final time make it into a three inch pancake about 1/4 inch thick.
5. Put one portion of filling on dough and gather edges around to form a ball. Flatten this slightly to form a two inch round cake. Repeat until all dough and filling has been used.
6. Arrange on an ungreased baking sheet and to be authentic, mark top with a bit of red food coloring using a chop stick or other implement. Bake in a preheated oven set at 375 degrees fahrenheit.
Note: This recipe which makes twenty moon cakes can freeze well when the moon cakes are individually wrapped in plastic freezer wrap.
Approximate nutrient analysis for one moon cake:
Calories 227 Kc
Carbohydrate 44 g
Protein 8 g
Sodium 81 and 1/2 mg
Total Fat 2.6 g
Saturated fat 0.7 g
Cholesterol 54 mg