Connect me to:
Har Gow are Shrimp Dumplings III
Dim Sum and Other Snack Foods
|Har Gow are Shrimp Dumplings III|
1 and 1/2 cups wheat starch
1/2 cup tapioca flour
dash of salt
1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
1 pound fresh shrimp
1 Tablespoon dry sherry
1 small can water chestnuts, chopped
1 teaspoon chopped fresh ginger
1 Tablespoon chopped scallions
1/2 teaspoon sugar
2 teaspoons soy sauce
1 to 2 teaspoons sesame oil, to taste
dash of black pepper
1. To make the dough for the wrappings, sift starch, flour, and salt into a bowl. Pour one and a half cups of boiling water into this mixture and mix well with chopsticks. Let stand five to ten minutes.
2. Knead dough until smooth and elastic for about two minutes; add oil and knead again until well mixed.
3. Divide the dough into four parts and roll each of them into a long cylinder. Cut each cylinder and roll into a ball then flatten with the cleaver to make wrappers about two and a half inches in diameter.
1. Combine the remaining ingredients and mix well making the filing.
2. Fill each dumpling with one to one and a half teaspoons of filling. Repeat until all filling is used up.
3. Pleat or gather each wrapper into a one-half-inch basket shape around the filling and shape and seal off the top.
4. Put the sealed dumplings in a well-greased round cake pan lined with one or more large leaves of lettuce. Then put the pan in a steamer and steam over boiling water for about ten minutes.
5. Serve with hoisin sauce, if desired.
Makes about 40 dumplings.