Connect me to:
Ayam Buah Keluak is Chicken with Pangi Tree Seeds
|Ayam Buah Keluak is Chicken with Pangi Tree Seeds|
1 chicken (about three pounds) cut into eigths
20 Buah keluak or pangi tree seeds
3 and 1/2 ounces lean ground pork
2 Tablespoons sugar
1 piece about 3/4 oz of galangal root, minced
1 piece about 1 and 1/4 inches of fresh tumeric root, peeled and chopped or one Tablespoon tumeric
6 candlenuts, chopped
10 fresh chili peppers, sliced into rings
7 ounces shallots, peeled and chopped
1 teaspoon shrimp paste
juice made form eight ounces of tamarind pulp
1 stem lemon grass, chopped
1 teaspoon salt
6 Tablespoons oil
1. Thoroughly scrub the pangi tree seeds and soak in four cups of water for twenty-four hours, changing the water frequently. Then, slice off the broad end of the seed and remove the kernel with a fork. Save the shells.
2. Mash the kernels with the fork, add the pork, two teaspoons of sugar and a little salt and knead well.
3. Fill the shells with the mixture and reserve.
4. Heat the oil in a saucepan and fry the galangal, tumeric, candlenuts, chili peppers, shallots, and the shrimp paste until the flavors have fully developed and oil seeps out.
5. Add the chicken pieces, pangi tree seeds, lemongrass, the remaining sugar and salt and stir well. Then add the tamarind juice. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer for 30 minutes.