Connect me to:
Aubergine Folders II
Vegetables and Vegetarian Foods
|Aubergine Folders II|
2 half-pound pieces of firm bean curd
1 teaspoon black moss, soaked in cold water for twenty minutes, then drained
4 Japanese eggplants, cut into one-inch slices, each cut partway through to make into a 'folder'
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 eggs, slightly beaten
2 cups and 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
1 egg white
3 Tablespoons oyster-flavored sauce
1 green part of a scallion, minced
1 large clove garlic, minced
1. Blanch bean curd in boiling water for three minutes, drain, and pat dry. Then, cut off any hard outer layer, and mash the rest.
2. Mince the black moss and mix with the bean curd.
3. Press half tablespoon bean curd mixture into each of the eggplant slice folders.
4. Mix flour and salt, make well in the center, and stir in eggs and the tablespoon of oil. Stir and add water, a tablespoon at a time, to make a thin batter. Let this rest ten minutes.
5. Heat oil in large pot, dip stuffed eggplant slices into the batter, allow to drain and deep fry several at a time for about four minutes or until puffed and brown. Drain and put them on paper towels while repeating until all are fried and drained.
6. Mix oyster-flavored sauce, a tablespoon of water, scallion and garlic pieces and heat, pour over the eggplant folders and serve.
Approximate nutrient analysis when serving six persons and assuming three tablespoons of oil is absorbed. Each serving has 296 calories, 36 g carbohydrate, 14 g protein, 416 mg sodium, 6 g fat, 2 g saturated fat, and 60 mg cholesterol.