Connect me to:
Dim Sum and Other Snack Foods
1 cup all-purpose flour, divided in two equal parts
1/4 teaspoon yeast
1 teaspoon finely crushed Chinese brown slab sugar
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup bread or high-gluten flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 cup plain yogurt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
2 cups and 3 Tablespoons vegetable oil, separated
1. Mix half of the all-purpose flour, brown sugar, yeast, and the milk and set aside for one hour.
2. Mix the other half of the all-purpose flour, bread flour, sugar, egg yogurt, and baking powder, and let this rest for one hour, then stir it well.
3. Gently mix both batters together and set aside for half an hour.
4. Heat two tablespoons vegetable oil in a fry pan, and pour in two to three tablespoons of the batter and fry it until set, then turn it over and fry one more minute. Take pancake out putting it on a paper towel lined plate. Repeat until all pancakes are made, stacking them until the task is finished.
5. Take one pancake at a time, fold it lightly in half, then roll it up very lightly so that the folded side looks like a flower, some say it looks like a rose. Set these down gently on a serving platter not touching each other.
6. Heat the two cups of oil in a large pot and fry three or four flower-shaped rolls at a time. When they are crisp, take them out, drain on paper towels, and then put them in one layer on a platter. When all are fried, serve.