Connect me to:
Carp and Cucumber
Fish and Seafood
|Carp and Cucumber|
1 whole carp, about two pounds, scales removed, the fish gutted and rinsed, and the head and tail removed and set aside
2 Tablespoons Chinese rice wine
1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
2 large cucumbers
1/2 cup cornstarch
2 egg whites
1 cup vegetable oil
1 Tablespoon minced red onion
1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup Chinese rice vinegar
1/2 Tablespoon tomato paste
1/2 cup chicken broth
1. Slice the fish lengthwise into one dozen pieces, each about quarter-inch thick by one inch by two inches.
2. Put these slices into a bowl with the rice wine and salt, mix very gently, then allow this to remain for half an hour, then drain the fish and set them on a platter.
3. Peel the cucumbers, cutting each slice of peel in half. Make twelve pieces of cucumber skin. Set each one on a slice of the fish, then roll them up together.
4. Mix the egg white and the cornstarch into a paste and dip the head, tail, and the fish rolls in this paste.
5. Heat the oil in a wok and deep fry the head, tail, and the fish rolls until they become golden yellow, then remove them and drain on paper towels. When drained well, put these on a platter head at one end, tail at the other, and the rolls in a double line between them.
6. In a clean wok or sauce pan, add one teaspoon of the remaining oil, stir-fry the onion and ginger for half minute, add the sugar, vinegar, tomato paste and the chicken broth and bring to the boil, then pour this over the fish, and serve.