Connect me to:
Vegetarian Stewed Turtle
Vegetables and Vegetarian Foods
|Vegetarian Stewed Turtle|
12 dried shiitake mushrooms
8 oounces fresh lotus root
1 teaspoon five-spice powder
pinch of white pepper
2 teaspoons oil (optional)
4 ounces snow peas
1 teaspoon sugar
1 Tablespoon rice wine or dry sherry
1 Tablespoon cornstarch
1. Soak mushrooms in warm water for thirty minutes. Then squeeze, retaining 1 cup of mushroom water, and cut off their stems.
2. Peel lotus root and slice it thinly. Keep it in cold water to prevent darkening.
3. Blanch snow peas for two minutes, drain, rinse in cold water, re-drain, and reserve.
4. Mix cornstarch reserved mushroom water, wine, and half of the sugar.
1. Arrange mushrooms, then lotus root slices in shallow dish that fits in steamer. Cover with paper towel to absorb water, then steam for thirty minutes.
2. Boil cornstarch mixture until clear and pour over the lotus root mixture.
3. Arrange snow peas around this and serve.