Connect me to:
Six Item Squares
Fish and Seafood
|Six Item Squares|
1 cup Crucian or another pickled carp or white-fleshed fish
skin from the above or from another fish
2 egg whites. Beaten only until beginning to foam
1 cup minced shrimp, peels and veins removed
1/2 cup minced water chestnuts
1/2 cup minced rape or another green vegetable
1/2 cup minced smoked ham
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
2 Tablespoons cornstarch
1 Tablespoon white or purple rice flour
1 cup vegetable oil
1. Spread the minced fish on the fish skin and spread about one-quarter of the egg white on it.
2. Mix one quarter of the egg white with the minced shrimp and spread this carefully on to the minced fish.
3. Mix the minced water chestnuts and the rape with another quarter of the egg white and spread this carefully on top of the shrimp mixture.
4. Mix the last quarter of the egg white with the minced ham, walnuts, cornstarch, and the wheat flour and spread this on top of the water chestnut-rape layer.
5. Heat the oil in a wok or large deep fry pan and carefully slide this fish package, skin side down, into the oil using two spatulas. With a ladle, pour hot oil from the wok or pan over the fish package until it is golden, about four or five minutes. Then carefully remove it on to three or more paper towels to drain. After one minute, slide it off the paper towel and on to a cutting board. Cut into squares, transfer to a pre-heated platter, and serve.