Connect me to:
Dim Sum and Other Snack Foods
4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 pound fatty finely minced pork
4 ounces chicken stock
3 Tablespoons thin soy sauce
2 Tablespoons minced fresh ginger
2 Tablespoons minced scallions, green part only
2 Tablespoons pickled napa or another pickled cabbage
2 Tablespoons sesame oil
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 cup Chinese red vinegar
1. Mix flour with one cup of boiling water. Mix well then knead, adding a teaspoon at a time of cold water until the dough is smooth. Then let it rest for forty-five minutes.
2. Gently mix the pork, stock, soy sauce, ginger, scallions, pickled vegetable, sesame oil, and the salt until just combined.
3. Roll the dough into a thick cigar-shape and cut into sixteen pieces. Roll each of these into a two-and-a-half-inch circle and put a tablespoon of the filling in the center. Wet the edges with water, fold in half, then pleat making ten or more pleats for each of them; experts make eighteen pleats.
4. Place these buns an inch apart on parchment paper or a cloth on the rack of a steamer basket over boiling water and steam for six or seven minutes.
5. Serve with the vinegar as a dipping sauce.