Connect me to:
Fortune Cookies I
Fruits, Desserts, and Other Sweet Foods
|Fortune Cookies I|
1/2 cup flour
1 Tablespoon cornstarch
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup corn oil
2 egg whites
1 Tablespoon orange flower water
1/2 teaspoon finely grated orange rind
16 half-inch by three-inch strips of paper with a typed fortune on each
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. In a bowl, sift flour, cornstarch, and sugar three times.
3. Add oil and egg whites and beat at high speed until very well mixed, then add orange flower water and orange rind and mix thoroughly.
4. Make only two or three cookies at a time by dropping a level tablespoon for each on a well-greased cookie sheet. Space them three inches apart and flatten-spread each with a spoon or spatula until four inches in diameter.
5. Bake ten to twelve minutes until each is light brown. Then remove and put each cookie on a plate, immediately put a fortune in the center, fold it in half then in half again, each time over a thin edged bowl or pan.
6. Put the folded cookies into a muffin tin, open edge down, and bake a second batch. Continue until all batter is used.
7. Cool, then store in an airtight container.
Makes 12 - 16 cookies.