Connect me to:
Spiced Pea-jelly, Bai Style
Rice, Noodles, and Other Grain Foods
|Spiced Pea-jelly, Bai Style|
1/2 pound wheat-flour noodles
1/2 pound fresh green peas, their skins removed
4 cloves crushed garlic
2 Tablespoons peanuts, ground
1 Tablespoon sesame paste
1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
3 Tablespoons white vinegar
1 Tablespoons granulated sugar
1/2 scallion, minced
1. Boil the noodles until almost tender, rinse in cool water, drain, and set them aside.
2. Mix peeled peas with one cup of cold water, bring to the boil, and stir in the peas and simmer for fifteen minutes until they are soft and can be mashed with a fork. Remove and pour them into a fine strainer, mash them in the strainer with a fork, and discard the solids.
3. Put the mashed peas into a small pot, add the garlic, ground peanuts, pepper, salt, vinegar, and the sugar, and simmer until this makes a thick paste. Then add the finely minced scallion and stir for one minute. Then allow to set overnight in a cool place or in the refrigerator.
4. Cut the pea-jelly into small pieces the size of fresh green peas.
5. Pour boiling water over the noodles and allow them to sit for two minutes, drain well, then toss with the pea-jelly pieces, and serve.