Connect me to:
Yam and Ginger Balls
Dim Sum and Other Snack Foods
|Yam and Ginger Balls|
2 pounds Chinese yams, peeled and cubed
2 cups glutinous rice flour
1/4 pound Chinese brown slab sugar, crushed
1/2 pound crystallized ginger, minced
2 Tablespoons white sesame seeds
1 Tablespoon black sesame seeds
4 cups vegetable oil
1. Put the yam cubes into a heat-proof bowl and steam for half an hour, then remove from the steamer and mash them.
2. Add the rice flour, crushed slab sugar, minced ginger, and stir well.
3. Mix sesame seeds and put then in a large shallow bowl.
4. Wet your hands and shape the yam mixture into two-inch balls, and roll them in the sesame seed mixture more than gently so the seeds are slightly imbedded into the yam mixture.
5. Heat the oil is a wok or a deep pan and deep-fry the yam balls for about four or five minutes or until they are a light golden color. Remove from the oil, and drain them on paper towels, and serve.