Connect me to:
Fruits, Desserts, and Other Sweet Foods
1 pound Chinese yams, peeled, then steamed for twenty minutes
6 Tablespoons yam flour, divided in two portions
1/4 cup Chinese date jam or paste
1 Tablespoon osmanthus (or another) jam
1/4 cup glutinous rice flour
2 cups vegetable oil, for deep frying
1 Tablespoon sesame oil
1/2 cup granulated white sugar
1. Mash steamed yams mixing in half the yam flour.
2. Spread the rest of the yam flour on a board. Put yam flour mixture on it and make a square cake about one inch thick, and spread the glutinous flour evenly on top, the date jam on that, and spread the osmanthus jam evenly on the very top.
3. Cut into cubes and roll in the rice flour. Set aside for one hour to partially dry out.
4. Heat oil in a wok or deep pot, and deep fry the cubes for about five minutes or until golden brown, then drain on paper towels.
5. Mix sesame oil and sugar, brush on the yam pies, and serve.