Connect me to:
1 whole chicken or four thigh quarters
salt and pepper, to taste
2 cups long-grain rice, rinsed well
2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
4 slices fresh ginger, peeled and finely minced
1 Tablespoon thick soy jam
1 Tablespoon plum sauce
1 teaspoon honey
1 teaspoon sugar, optional
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1 large onion, thinly slices
1 scallion, minced
1. Dry the chicken with paper towels, then rub the skin-side and the inside with salt and pepper. Put it in a steamer basket over a bowl or onto a steamer rack, also over a bowl. Steam for twenty minutes, then remove and set aside keeping it warm in a heat-proof bowl.
2. Use the liquid in the bowl and add water making three cups, and bring this to the boil. Add the rice, reduce the heat, and simmer until it rice is soft, fluffy, and fully cooked.
3. Heat oil in a wok or fry pan, and stir-fry the garlic and ginger for one minute.
4. Mix the soy jam, plum sauce, honey, sugar, cinnamon, and cloves, and add it to the garlic and ginger. Add in the rice.
5. Put the chicken on this, and steam another five minutes; then serve.