Connect me to:
Sichuan Cucumber Salad
Vegetables, also Vegetarian Foods
|Sichuan Cucumber Salad|
1 large cucumber, do not peel, but scrub it well
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon peanut or vegetable oil
1 Tablespoon peeled then minced garlic
2 teaspoons cider vinegar
1 teaspoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1. Cut cucumber into quarters lengthwise, then scoop out any large seeds before cutting each into pieces about an inch and a half long.
2. Pound these pieces lightly with the side of the cleaver to slightly smash them.
3. In a large bowl, toss the cucumbers with salt and let them rest for twenty minutes, then discard any liquid in the bowl.
4. Heat the peanut oil in a small skillet or wok, add the garlic and stir about half a minute before transferring the garlic to a small bowl. Mix in the cider vinegar, soy sauce, sesame oil, sugar, and the red pepper flakes and stir well.
5. Drain the cucumber pieces well. Then toss them with the cider vinegar mixture. Serve at room temperature or chill for a couple of hours before serving them.