Connect me to:
Eggplant, Shrimp, and Cao Guo
Fish and Seafood
|Eggplant, Shrimp, and Cao Guo|
1 pound shrimp
1 Tablespoon Chinese rice wine
1 Tablespoon Chinese black vinegar
1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
5 Chinese eggplants
1 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon cornstarch
2 cao guo, smashed with end of the handle of a cleaver|
1 Tablespoon Sichuan peppercorns
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
1 Tablespoon thin soy sauce
2 teaspoons Chinese white vinegar
1 Tablespoon peeled grated fresh ginger
1. Peel and remove veins of the shrimp, and mix them with rice wine, black vinegar, and grated ginger.
2. Remove ends of the eggplants, and cut the rest into two inch strips or angle-shaped pieces.
3. In a wok or deep fry pan, deep fry half the eggplant until golden, then drain on paper towels. Repeat with the rest of the eggplant.
4. Remove all but two tablespoons of the vegetable oil and reserve for another use.
5. Mix the cao guo and the Sichuan peppercorns with cornstarch and fry in the oil until fragrant, then discard them and add the shrimp and stir-fry one minute. Return eggplant to the pan and stir once or twice before adding the soy sauce, vinegar, and grated ginger. Stir-fry all this together for one to two minutes, then serve.