Connect me to:
Bean Curd Boxes with Shrimp and Fish Maw
Fish and Seafood
|Bean Curd Boxes with Shrimp and Fish Maw|
1 pound soft bean curd, cut into two to three inch squares two to three inches thick
1 cup vegetable oil
5 Tablespoons soaked fish maw, then dice it into small pieces
4 fresh shrimp, peeled and veins removed, then minced
2 Soaked shiitake mushrooms, stems removed and discarded, and coarsely chopped
1 cup chicken broth
1/2 teaspoon oyster sauce
1/2 teaspoon thin soy sauce
1 teaspoon cornstarch mixed with one tablespoon cold water
1 teaspoon sesame oil
10 small pieces of coriander
1. Drain the bean curd squares between several layers of paper towels topped with a plate and a book on top of that.
2. Heat the oil and deep-fry half the bean curd squares until they are crisp on the outside, carefully turning them until all sides are tan and crisp. Then drain them on fresh paper towels and repeat until all are deep-fried.
3. Cut a quarter-inch top off each one and set aside. Then, using a small spoon, remove some of the inside of each box leaving a quarter-inch of bean curd on each side and the bottom, and save this for another use.
4. Take one tablespoon of the oil and put into a wok or fry-pan and stir-fry the minced fish maw for five minutes, then add the shrimp and the mushrooms and stir-fry another two minutes before adding the broth, oyster sauce, and the soy sauce and boil until the broth is reduced by half.
5. Add the cornstarch mixture and the sesame oil, and continue boiling and stirring until thick, then put this mixture into the bean curd boxes, cover each one with the top of its box, and put on a steam-proof plate and into a steamer over boiling water.
6. Steam for six minutes, then remove the plate from the steamer, top each box with a small piece of coriander, and serve.