Connect me to:
Dim Sum and Other Snack Foods
1/2 pound wheat starch
4 teaspoons vegetable oil
1/2 pound shrimp, minced very fine or mashed
1 teaspoon coarse salt
1/2 teaspoon chicken bouillon powder
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon sesame oil
dash of ground white pepper
2 Tablespoons finely minced bamboo shoots
2 Tablespoons finely minced water chestnuts
1 teaspoon crab roe
1. Mix starch and two cups of boiling water quickly, then set this aside for about three minutes.
2. Add three teaspoons oil and knead into the dough, then roll it into a long cigar-shaped piece, and cut it into one-inch pieces, Flatten each one, and roll each one as thin as possible, stacking them after brushing every other one with oil. Cover the stack of them.
3. Mix shrimp, salt, bouillon powder, sugar, sesame oil, and the two minced vegetables, then cover this mixture and put it in the freezer for half an hour.
4. Remove from the freezer and take half a teaspoon of this filling and put it on one piece of dough, oiled side to the inside. Then fold the dough into a crescent shape. Pull one end out and cut it in half to make the rabbit ears, and bend them back toward the big round piece of dough which is the rabbit body. Also, press the neck of the rabbit down, the rest of the dough into a round.
5. Use the crab roe to make two eyes just before the ears.
6. Steam these rabbit dumplings over boiling water for four to five minutes, remove, and serve them.