Connect me to:
Cinnamon Roast Chicken
|Cinnamon Roast Chicken|
1 three-pound free-range chicken
2 lemons, thickly sliced
8 fresh bay leaves
2 teaspoons dried native Australian pepperberries
3 garlic cloves
1 one-inch piece fresh ginger, finely sliced
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 pound unsalted butter, softened
For the dressing:
1 small lemon
1 clove garlic, peeled and finely minced
2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 Tablespoon cider vinegar
2 sweet onions, finely slices
2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
1. Using a mortar and pestle, prepare the pepperberry butter pounding garlic, ginger, salt, and the ground spices, then mix them with the butter and set this aside.
2. Tuck wingtips under the chicken, and place the bird breast side up in a lightly oiled roasting pan. Ease the skin away from the meat being careful not to tea the skin, and put half the butter mixture between the skin and te meat of the bird.
3. Put lemons and bay eaves in the cavity of the chicken and cover and refrigerate covered for one hour.
4. Remove from the refrigerator, and roast the chicken uncovered in a 35 degree F oven for one hour or until the juices run clear. Then remove from the oven and let it rest for ten minutes.
5. Meanwhile, make the dressing first cutting a slice from one end of the lemon and discard the lemon skin and cut lemon segments between each membrane, and discard these membranes.
6. Pound the garlic and salt into a rough paste, add the lemon segments and the remaining ingredients and mix well.
7. Slice the chicken and arrange the slices on a platter with the lemon slices and the bay leaves. Drizzle the chicken with the pan juices or serve them on the side.