Connect me to:
Roast Goose Hong Kong Style
|Roast Goose Hong Kong Style|
1 recently killed goose, eviscerated
6 Tablespoons salt, divided into two parts
2 Tablespoons sugar
3 Tablespoons five-spice powder
4 Tablespoons soybean paste
2 Tablespoons oyster sauce
1 Tablespoon Chinese rice wine
5 Tablespoons soy sauce, divided four and one
2 Tablespoons honey
2 Tablespoons hoisin sauce, optional
3 Tablespoons cold tea, optional
1. Pour two quarts of boiling water over the goose three consecutive times, then dry it with paper towels.
2. Mix half the salt, sugar, the five-spice powder, soy bean paste, wine, and four of the tablespoons of soy sauce. Rub this mixture inside and outside the goose, then cover the bird with plastic wrap or put it in a plastic bag and refrigerate for three days, turning it every twelve hours.
3. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F, and put in the goose, breast down. After half an hour, reduce the heat to 300 degrees F after brushing the skin with a mixture of the other half of the oyster sauce, honey, salt, and the tablespoon of soy sauce. Brush it two more times when turning it every half an hour.
4. Remove from the oven and allow it to cool for a half and hour up to one hour, then chop it into small pieces, and serve.
5. Mix the hoisin sauce and the tea and serve as a dip, if desired.