Connect me to:
Tong Yuen with Black Sesame Seed Paste
Rice, Noodles, and Other Grain Foods
|Tong Yuen with Black Sesame Seed Paste|
1 and 1/2 cups black sesame seeds
1 and 1/2 cups confectioners sugar
1/2 cup solid shortening
1. Put the sesame seeds in a large bowl with water, stir then scoop out only those that float (sand and other debris usually sinks during this process).
2. Spread them out onto a cookie sheet, preferably one with sides, and bake for thirty minutes in a preheated oven set at 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Stir them a few times while they are baking; and when done cool then.
3. Put about one-quarter of them in a blender and blend until they are powder-like. Repeat until done.
4. Mix with sugar and knead this mixture with the shortening until a well-mixed paste has been made. Refrigerate until hard (This can be made ahead until this point, and the paste can be kept in the refrigerator for several months).
5. Fill using the Plain Tong Yuen recipe or put this filling in another dough. Boil them for seven to eight minutes until they float, then cook an addtional minute, drain, and put them in a light soup, the Black Sesame Soup recipe, or a soup of your choice.