Connect me to:
Holiday and Celebration Foods
½ pound stale bread, cubed and soaked in cold water for one minute, then squeezed of all excess water
4 egg whites
½ to 3/4 cup vegetable oil
3 Tablespoons walnuts, coarsely chopped
3/4 cup melted lard
1 cup granulated sugar
2 Tablespoons candied squash, finely chopped
2 Tablespoons candied tangerine peel, finely chopped
2 Tablespoons candied Chinese dates, finely chopped
2 Tablespoons fresh Chinese green olives, pits discarded, then finely chopped
1 Tablespoon crystallized rose petals (optional)
a few candied nuts and fruits set aside for decor
1 teaspoon vegetable oil to grease the serving dish
1. In a large bowl, beat two egg whites until frothy, then mix them with the bread.
2. Then heat the oil just until warm, add the walnuts and stir-fry for one minute, then drain and put them on paper towels.
3. In a clean bowl, beat the other two egg whites until stiff and set them aside.
4. Next, stir-fry the bread mixture until crisp, and add the sugar, and then the other fruits and nuts and stir-fry one minute more before sliding this mixture onto a lightly pre-oiled serving plate shaping it into a flat oval.
5. Spoon the stiff egg whites on top, and decor them with some of the candied fruits and nuts that were set aside. Serve immediately cutting this into small serving pieces.