Connect me to:
1-3 pound fryer chicken
1/2 cup dry wine
1 teaspoon salt
1 whole anise (optional)
2 green onions, cut into one-inch strips
2 slices ginger
3/4 cup soy sauce
1. Preheat oven to 450 F.
2. Mix everything, except the chicken, and add three cups of water.
3. Bring mixture to a boil.
4. Add chicken and bring to a second boil.
5. Cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
6. Turn chicken; turn heat off and let chicken stand covered for 15 minutes.
7. Drain chicken and place in a roasting pan.
8. Roast on lower rack of oven for thirty minutes, or until brown.
9. Cut chicken into pieces; garnish with parsley and/or green onions.
10. Make gravy with cornstarch and juice left in pan.
To modify the recipe and reduce the sodium and or the fat: Remove the salt and reduce the soy sauce to one-quarter of a cup. This reduces the sodium. One can also remove the salt and use one-quarter of a cup of low sodium soy sauce to reduce the amount of sodium even further. If you do not eat the skin of the chicken, you will also cut the total fat and the saturated fat considerably.