Connect me to:
General Tso's Chicken
|General Tso's Chicken|
|Ingredients to fry the chicken:|
1 egg white, beaten
4 Tablespoons cornstarch
2 Tablespoons flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 and 1/2 teaspoons vegetable oil
2 Tablespoons water
1 pound boneless chicken thigh meat, cut in two-inch pieces
2 cups vegetable oil for deep frying
Pre-preparation to fry the chicken:
1. Combine egg white, cornstarch, flour and salt.
2. Mix the one and a half teaspoons vegetable oil with the water, add it to the dry ingredients and mix well; then add the chicken meat and coat well.
3. Heat the rest of the oil to 350 degrees F and deep fry the chicken meat, a few at a time for a minute or a minute and a half on each side of until the meat is brown on the outside and juicy inside. Do not overcook. Drain on paper towels and set aside.
Ingredients for the sauce mixture:
3 Tablespoons sugar
3 Tablespoons thin soy sauce
2 Tablespoons dark soy sauce
1 Tablespoon fermented rice wine or cooking wine
1 Tablespoon white vinegar
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1 Tablespoon cornstarch
1/2 cup chicken broth or water
2 Tbablespoons vegetable oil
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 Tablespoon shredded ginger
1 stalk scallion, chopped
6 red hot peppers, diced
Ingredients to to complete the dish:
Chicken and sauce as prepared above
1 cup broccoli flowerettes
1. Combine sugar, soy sauces, fermented rice sauce, vinegar, and sesame oil in a bowl and mix well.
2. Combine cornstarch and chicken broth in another bowl and mix well.
3. Heat the oil in the wok to 375 degrees F. Add the pre-fried chicken pieces and keep turning them for one or two minutes, until each piece is heated through; and line a dish with paper towels and place the twice fried chicken on the paper to drain off any excess oil.
4. Pour out the oil form the work and wipe the wok clean with a paper towel. Reserve one and a half teaspoons of the oil.
5. Heat the wok and add the reserved oil, when hot add the garlic, and ginger. Keep stirring for a few seconds, add scallions and hot pepper, saute for one minute.
6. Add the first sauce mixture and mix well, then gently add the cornstarch broth and keep stirring until the sauce is thickened and turns translucent.
7. Add the chicken, mix well, and garnish with blackened broccoli florets which are placed around the chicken for color contrast. Serve.