Connect me to:
Chicken Soup, the Easy Way
Soups and Congees
|Chicken Soup, the Easy Way|
1 three to four pound whole chicken
2 pieces of fresh ginger, each about the size of your thumb
salt and pepper, to taste
1. Clean the chicken removing any fat and soft tissue inside it, then put it with the neck bone, gizzard, and liver into this easy cook pot. Fill it with water until it covers the chicken.
2. Rinse the ginger, then using a cleaver, smash the ginger so that the skin is broken and its flavor can leach out.
3. Add the ginger, and scallions and bring the contents to the boil. Skim off any fat or other materials and reduce the heat to simmer partially covering the pot.
4. After twenty minutes, tightly cover the pot and put it in the insulated container for four to eight hours.
5. Remove the pot from the insulated container, bring the contents to the boil, add salt and pepper, to taste.
Note: We like have added a dipping sauce of sesame oil, soy sauce, and a minced uncooked scallion to go along with the pieces of chicken. You can try that and others that you enjoy, or not use any sauce with this soup.