Connect me to:
Melon Stuffed with Spicy Beef
|Melon Stuffed with Spicy Beef|
1 teaspoon corn oil
1 large ripe firm cantaloupe, not overripe
2 Tablespoons butter
1/2 pound ground beef
1 medium onion, chopped
1/2 cup long-grain white rice
1/4 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
1/4 cup dried currants
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
dash of white pepper
1 cup beef stock
1. Brush oil on all sides and the bottom of a pie tin or small round casserole.
2. Cut the top off the melon about one inch down and reserve it. Scoop out the seeds and part of the pulp, about one cups worth, chop and set this aside.
3. Melt the butter is a frypan and stir in beef and onions and saute until brown, then add rice, walnuts, currants, cinnamon, salt and pepper, and beef broth. Cover and simmer for twenty minutes, remove from heat and allow to cool.
4. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
5. Put rice mixture and the chopped melon into the whole melon and cover with the melonís top holding it in place with three or four toothpicks. Then bake it for an hour and serve, preferably with nan or another flat bread cut in quarters, then each of these in cut again at the table when ready to serve.