Connect me to:
Hubei Lotus Sandwich
Dim Sum and Other Snack Foods
|Hubei Lotus Sandwich|
1/2 pound ground pork
1 scallion, finely minced
1 Tablespoon rice wine
1 teaspoon thin soy sauce
1 teaspoon cornstarch
1 large or two smaller sections of lotus root, peeled
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup each cornstarch and waterchestnut flour, mixed
2 cups corn oil
1. Mix pork, scallion, rice wine, soy sauce and cornstarch.
2. Cut lotus root into thin slices, about six to the inch. Bring three cups of water to the boil, add the salt and blanch them for one minute, then drain and set them in a single layer on paper towels.
3. Dust one side of each slice of lotus with the cornstarch/waterchestnut flour mixture. Then spread the pork mixture evenly on half of the slices and top with the other slices of the lotus, dusted side towards the meat mixture.
4. Make a batter of the remaining flour mixture with three to four tablespoons of water, it should be thick, but beaten well so it is not lumpy.
5. Heat oil, dip a lotus root sandwich in the batter and fry until light tan and crispy, then remove and set on a clean paper towel to drain. You can fry three or four sandwiches at a time, whn all are fried, place on a platter and serve.