Connect me to:
12 bay leaves
2 pounds honeycomb tripe
2 Tablespoons corn oil
8 star anise
6 slices fresh ginger, each cut into four pieces
1/4 cup dark soy sauce
2 Tablespoons chili paste with garlic
1 cup rice wine
1/2 cup beef broth
1. Bring ten cups of water to the boil, add bay leaves and tripe and return it to the boil. When at a rolling boil, cover and turn off the heat. Let it rest for two hours.
2. Remove trip from liquid and cut into two-inch pieces. Dry with paper towels.
3. Heat oil in Chinese clay casserole, if available, and add fresh ginger pieces and the soy sauce, chili paste, rice wine, and broth, and simmer for five minutes.
4. Add tripe and simmer uncovered for another ten minutes. Cover and put into the refrigerator overnight. In the morning, remove ginger pieces and the star anise.
5. Before serving, reheat and mix with cornstarch water, and bring to the boil and allow to thicken.