Connect me to:
Chinese Egg Tarts
Dim Sum and Other Snack Foods
|Chinese Egg Tarts|
|Ingredients for the pastry:|
1 ounce solid shortening
1 and 3/4 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
4 ounces unsalted butter, softened
1 and 1/4 cups cake flour, sifted
Ingredients for the filling:
3/4 cup sugar
1 and 1/2 cups whole milk
To make the pastry:
1. Combine shortening, all purpose flour and egg and knead until smooth. The mixture will be crumbly but continue to knead until it forms a smooth dough. Wrap and refrigerate for fifteen minutes. This is the egg dough.
2. In a separate bowl, combine the butter and cake flour. And knead until it forms a smooth dough. It also may be crumbly, but continue to knead until smooth.
3. On a lightly floured surface, place the chilled egg dough and roll it into a circle about six inches in diameter. Place the other dough in the center and wrap the egg dough around it to cover it.
4. Roll out this mixture into a thin six-inch square. Fold the square in half and again into quarters. Refrigerate for ten minutes, then repeat this process one more time.
5. Roll the dough until one-quarter inch thick, then use a four-inch round cutter and cut out rounds of this dough. Repeat until all the dough is used.
6. Transfer each of these rounds into a four-inch aluminum pie tin and gently press it to mold it to the shape of the pan. Put them on a sheet pan with sides. Cover and put them in the refrigerator.
To make the filling:
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. In a bowl, dissolve the sugar in the milk, then gently whisk in the eggs until well-combined.
3. Strain this mixture and skim off any foam that may be on the top.
To bake the tarts:
1. In a bowl, dissolve the sugar in the milk. Then gently whisk in eggs, until well-combined, and strain this mixture.
2. Fill chilled tart molds almost to the edge and bake them until the centers are set, about fifteen to twenty minutes.
3. Remove from the oven and set aside. Allow them to cool to room temperature. The tarts should easily release from the tins, but if they do not, separate them using a thin knife. Then serve.