Connect me to:
Salads, Pickles, and Other Cold Foods
1/2 head of cabbage, trimmed and cut into two-inch squares
1/2 large daikon, peeled and sliced
1/4 large carrot, peeled and sliced
3 Tablespoons sea salt or kosher salt
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup rice-wine vinegar
2 slices fresh peeled ginger
Preparation for the simplified method:
1. Mix all three vegetables and sprinkle them with one tablespoon of salt. Stir well and allow to rest for half an hour, then squeeze the vegetables to remove any excess water.
2. Add the rest of the ingredients and a cup of cold boiled water, then refrigerate for one or two days, drain and serve.
Preparation when reusing the liquid one or two more times:
1. Follow step one above.
2. Boil one cup of water, remove from heat and stir in remaining sugar and salt. Allow to cool and add rice vinegar
3. Put prepared vegetables in a two-quart jar, Pour liquid over them and cover. Set aside in a cool dark place overnight. Refrigerate the next day; where it can stay for up to two or three days.
4. When reusing the liquid for a new batch of prepared vegetables, pour reserved liquid over them and keep the pickles refrigerated at all times.