Connect me to:
Hakka Layer Cake
Fruits, Desserts, and Other Sweet Foods
|Hakka Layer Cake|
2 cups cooked rice, two or more kinds is best
6 Tablespoons rice wine
1/4 pound lard
1 cup white sesame seeds
1 teaspoon oil or lard
1/2 pound hand-chopped pork
4 shallots, minced fine
1/4 cup dark soy sauce
1 teaspoon sugar
10 bean curd sheets
2 Tablespoons cornstarch mixed with one tablespoon baking powder
1. Soak rice in two cups warm water for an hour or two, then drain and steam it over boiling water for fifteen minutes, add wine lard and sesame seeds and continue steaming for another fifteen minutes, then remove from the steamer and cool.
2. Heat oil or lard and stir-fry the pork for one minute, it will be pink, then add shallots, soy sauce, and sugar and remove from the heat and allow to cool.
3. Put one bean curd sheet on dry counter, put a little less than one-fourth of the rice mixture on it and then cover with another bean curd sheet. Brush it with the cornstarch mixture then add a little less than one-fourth of the pork mixture on top. Repeat until all the sheets and fillings are used ending with a bean curd sheet. Cut into four sections, brush all sides with the cornstarch mixture and spread one-quarter of the cooked rice on the top.
4. Heat the cup of lard or oil, fry one set of layers at a time until lightly brown, turn over and fry the other side until it is brown, then remove and drain on paper towels. Repeat until all are fried on both sides.
5. Cut each in half and serve.