Connect me to:
Crispy-skin Chicken with BlackVinegar and Shallot
Salads, Pickles, and Other Cold Foods
|Crispy-skin Chicken with BlackVinegar and Shallot |
3 cups Chinese rice wine
6 shallots, peeled and trimmed
12 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
1 and 1/2 cups ginger slivers
4 Tablespoons sea salt
1 three to four pound chicken
1 quart corn oil
2 Tablespoons peanut oil
2 Tablespoons finely chopped scallion tops
1/8 teaspoon ground Sichuan pepper
1/8 teaspoon salt
For the sauce:
1/3 cup finely sliced shallots
1/3 cup finely sliced ginger
1/3 cup finely sliced fresh coriander stems
1/3 cup kecap manis
1/3 cup thin soy sauce
1/3 cup black vinegar
1/2 teaspoon chili oil
1/4 cup sesame oil
1. Put six cups of water into a very large pot and add wine, shallots, garlic, ginger slivers, and sea salt. Bring to the boil and quickly lower the heat and simmer this stock for fifteen minutes.
2. Put chicken in the stock and simmer fourteen minutes, then remove pot from the heat and allow chicken to sit in it for one hour, then drain and refrigerate the chicken, very lightly covered for two hours or overnight to dry the skin. Cut chicken in half.
3. Heat the oil and lower one half chicken, breast side down. Into the oil. Deep fry it for five minutes, spooning oil over any part not submerged in oil. Drain on paper towels and fry the second half, also for five minutes. Chop each half into seven or eight pieces and put them on to a deep serving plate.
4. Make sauce by just mixing the ingredients together. Pour this over the fried chicken pieces.
5. Heat the peanut oil in a small pot. Pour this over the chicken, as well. Then garnish with greens, pepper, and salt, and serve.