Connect me to:
Turtle and Pork Casserole
|Turtle and Pork Casserole|
1 large piece of dried tangerine peel (about size of two quarters)
10 dry shiitake mushrooms
1/4 cup Shaoxing wine or dry sherry
1 pound turtle meat
2 Tablespoons cornstarch
2 Tablespoons corn oil
2 slices ginger root, cut in thin strips
2 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced thin
3 Tablespoons black bean sauce with garlic
2 cups chicken stock
2 pounds barbecued pork, cut in two-inch pieces
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
1 Tablespoon cornstarch
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1 Tablespoon water
1 Tablespoon thick soy sauce
1. Soak Tangerine peel in warm water for 20 minutes then mince it.
2. Soak mushrooms in warm water for 20 minutes, then cut cut each mushroom in half.
3. Drain tangerine peel and mushrooms, squeeze out excess water and mix with the wine. Let stand ten minutes, drain reserving the wine.
4. If turtle is still in shell, boil for ten minutes, remove viscera and discard with claws and the head. Cut into 2-inch pieces, blanch for 5 minutes, rinse in clear water and drain. If cut up or frozen, do not boil just blanch, as indicated.
5. Saute turtle in dry wok (no oil) until dry then remove and coat with cornstarch.
6. Heat the wok, add oil and return the turtle to the wok. Stir for two minutes then add the mushrooms, tangerine peel, garlic, and ginger root. Stir-fry for two minutes.
7. Add black bean sauce and mix well cooking until fragrant (about two minutes). Next add chicken stock and barbecued pork. Bring to the boil. Now transfer all ingredients to a clay pot or casserole. Cover and simmer for two hours on very low heat or put in oven at 300 degrees fahrenheit for the same amount of time.
8. Add all the sauce ingredients, bring to the boil and allow to cook one more minute, then serve to eight to ten people.