Connect me to:
Beef with Young Ginger
|Beef with Young Ginger|
1/2 cup of young ginger slices
6 Tablespoons coarse (kosher) salt
4 Tablespoons oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1 pound of flank steak, sliced thinly into one- by one-quarter- by one-quarter-inch strips
2 Tablespoons light soy sauce
2 Tablespoons dry sherry
2 teaspoons sugar
1 Tablespoon cornstarch
1/2 cup chicken stock
2 Tablespoons dark soy sauce
3 scallions, sliced thin
1. Mix ginger and salt and let stand for ten or fifteen minutes. Rinse thoroughly in cold water and drain.
2. Heat two Tablespoons of the oil and fry the garlic for one minute. Ten add the meat and fry until just pink. Remove from the pan and set aside.
3. Add the rest of the oil and fry the ginger root for two to three minutes; do not let it brown.
4. Mix the rest of the ingredients, except the scallions, and add this mixture and the meat to the pan; stir until thickened.
5. Serve garnished with the scallions.
Note: To modify this recipe in order to lower the amount of sodium:
1. Decrease the coarse salt to three tablespoons, which will allow only half-teaspoon of salt to be absorbed.
2. Use only a low sodium (low salt) soy sauce and not the kinds called for in the recipe and in addition, delete the total amount of soy sauce from four to three tablespoons in total.