Connect me to:
Green Onion Cakes I
Dim Sum and Other Snack Foods
|Green Onion Cakes I|
3 and 1/3 cups flour
1 and 1/4 cups warm water
1/4 cup shortening or cooking oil
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1 cup chopped green onions
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
1/2 cup chicken broth
2 Tablespoons soy sauce
2 teaspoons chopped green onions
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon chili sauce
About 1/2 cup corn oil for frying
1. Put flour, water and oil in a bowl and stir with chop sticks or a fork until the dough holds together. Knead on a floured board until smooth and satiny, about five minutes. Cover and allow to rest for half an hour.
2. Combine dipping sauce ingredients and set aside.
3. Roll dough into cylinder and cut into 12 pieces; keep covered when working with the individual pieces. Roll each piece into an eight-inch circle. Brush with shortening.
4. Sprinkle dough with sesame oil, green onions, salt and pepper, then roll into a cylinder and make it into a coiled round cake tucking end of the dough underneath it. Roll this out to be an eight-inch circle; it will be about an eighth of an inch thick.
5. Heat a large fry pan then add 2 Tablespoons oil and the rolled onion cake. Fry two to three minutes over medium heat on each side until both are lightly browned.
6. Add more oil as needed, and fry the rest of the cakes, one by one.
7. Cut cakes into wedges and serve with dipping sauce on the side.
Serves 6 to 12 people.