Connect me to:
Tofu and Mushrooms, Braised
Vegetables, also Vegetarian Foods
|Tofu and Mushrooms, Braised|
1 package (about 14 ounces) firm tofu
2/3 cup vegetable broth
2 teaspoons black bean garlic sauce
2 teaspoons oyster sauce
1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
1 teaspoon sugar
2 Tablespoons cooking oil
1/2 pound small white mushrooms
1/4 pound oyster mushrooms
6 fresh medium-size shiitake mushrooms
1 and 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch mixed with
1 Tablespoon water
1. Cut the tofu in half horizontally, then using a biscuit cutter, make two inch circles from each half; should yield twelve circles (squares are fine, too, but not as pretty).
2. Combine broth, black bean and oyster sauces and sesame oil and sugar. Set this sauce mixture aside.
3. Place a large fry pan on medium heat until hot. Add 1 Tablespoon oil and add the tofu and cook until brown, about 2 minutes per side. Remove tofu and set aside.
4. Add remaining opne Tablespoon of oil and all the mushrooms; stir-fry them one minute then add sauce, reduce heat to low and simmer until the mushrooms are tender (about five minutes).
5. Add cornstarch mixture and cook until sauce boils, thickens and clears.
6. Arrange tofu in a circle around the edge of a serving plate. Place mushroom mixture in center and serve.
Makes four to six servings.