Connect me to:
New Year Cake
Holiday and Celebration Foods
|New Year Cake|
20 pitted red Chinese dates
1 pound glutinous rice flour
1 cup brown sugar, or less, to taste
2 cups water
2 teaspoons sweet-scented osmanthus*
1 teaspoon oil
1. Place dates in a bowl and cover with just enough water as needed. Soften them for about five minutes. Drain, cut each one in four pieces.
2. Mix flour, sugar and water and knead until smooth. Now mix in the dates and osmanthus paste. (Alternately, they can be saved and brushed on top before steaming.)
3. Put into an oil-greased loaf pan (5 x 8½ inches) and with wet hands, spread evenly.
4. Steam for one hour over boiling water. Then remove from heat and cool.
5. Cut into half-inch slices and brown on both sides in a non-stick pan.
Another way is to dip in a slightly beaten egg and brown in a lightly oiled fry pan. Either way, serve them hot.
Note 1: This keeps well in the refrigerator for several weeks or in the freezer for several months.
Note 2: *Osmanthus or gui hwa jiang is available in small jars in Asian markets. If unavailable, use light corn syrup instead.